Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sittin' back with Stout in hand.

So for my second beer I decided to go with something a lot darker and in my eyes a lot tastier. The second beer that I am going to be reviewing is the Chocolate Stout from Harpoon Brewery, and where should I start with this nice in my eyes ale/stout hybrid. I guess I will start with the to me the label is nothing catchy and to be honest, had it not been for my wife I possibly would have overlooked this beer. This is my first chocolate stout and although it is my first and certainly wont be my last I have to admit I fell in love, with what is the start of a beautiful friendship between chocolate stout and myself. So onto the review.

I will start with the pour into the glass: It was about medium thickness nowhere near the thickness of a Guinness or a Murphy's but still had that great black tar look (which I love). Also with the head of the beer I was expecting it to have a thick white head like a normal stout, and although there was a nice head the thickness didn't stick around too long. The color of what I like to call the halo, as the head isn't completely gone but it also isn't foamy like a normal stout has a nice warm chocolate look to it and it hangs around for the entire beer.

Now moving onto smell: I have to admit knowing it was a chocolate stout I really wanted to smell this and I was hoping that it wouldn't have that bitter alkaline smell that most stouts have and I have to say that I was extremely happy with what I found. With the first smell I got cocoa wrapped in dark chocolate and you may be thinking (that doesn't sound that great) but believe me it is equal to going to see the philharmonic, it is just very pleasing to the nose. I could have actually sat with my nose in the beer all night it was that rich and made me want it all the more.
 
My favorite part of trying and drinking craft beer the taste portion: I have to start this off with WOW!! This as of right now IMHO is the best stout that I have had in awhile and I think it has to do with a few things mainly the thickness or lack there off and the smell of normal stouts that for the meek is not too kind. But anyway I digress, the taste of this stout had a nice espresso taste with a heaping tablespoon of Hershey chocolate syrup, with a nice hoppy finish but didn't have a big bite which I was surprised with and have to admit I really like in this beer. It was definitely a welcomed overload to the tongue made me wishing I had this on tap in my house right not, the end of the taste was just as great I found myself thinking I had just had a nice cup of coffee or a big glass of chocolate milk, which in my book is win/win.

To sum it all up The Chocolate Stout from Harpoon was fantastic, I definitely want to try more chocolate stouts before i grade this one completely but for my first adventure in this realm it was a great ride and look forward to more than the norm stouts in my future and also I love Guinness but I would take a Harpoon over it any day. So pick one up and try it out.

Jon The Beer Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment