Sunday, April 17, 2011

Good Ol' Sawtooth Ale


Well how to start this first post into the blogging world about craft beer, well my first beer to drink that I wanted to review is Sawtooth Ale from Left Hand Brewing company out of Longmont,Colorado. This was the first time I actually drank a beer in a nice glass that allowed it to show off it skills, I actually took time to look at this brew from head to toe and surprisingly also sipped instead of gulped which happens all too often with great beer. Well what I should start with is the packaging and bottle presentation, because on the wall of craft beer this one really caught my eye with it's blazing sun in the middle of saws that made a diamond it just makes an all around interesting graphic. Bright colors are always catchy to me but doesn't always mean a great beer. Well after pouring this nice ale into a glass I took note of the color which was a nice medium amber color and instantly I was happy the color was really warming like the sun on the label of the bottle, the head on this beer which there really wasn't one was very light and dissipated quickly but had a light caramel color too it something else I was pleased with. Now I will have to admit at this point, it was really hard to not down this beer right on the spot but I knew if I did I would ruin this review and would pretty much have no use for a blog and sharing the great and possibly not so great beers I run into. So after the eye candy portion was over I went to the ol' sniffer and shoved my nose right into the glass and closed my eyes, what I found was very nice and instantly had me salivating. The smell was a nice floral smell with hints of citrus and spice notes (kind of tingled the nose) like ginger beer or something like that would do but I very much liked the smell, not too sweet and not too bitter either. Now came the real test and what my mouth had been begging for since I had popped the top of the bottle was the taste test, I took in just enough to fill the mouth but not too much as to where I had chipmunk cheeks. Again I closed my eyes and I have to say felt really weird about having a religious experience with my beer, but to be honest that is what should be done with a nice craft beer that a small company took the time to really develop. Anyway back to the taste, what I came away with was a nice fruity and spice mixture with a nice bite at the end of the tasting and what I was left with for an aftertaste was a nice floral note with a nice bitter end slightly similar with an IPA (India Pale Ale) and to be honest this beer finished very smooth and dry which I really thought worked very well with this beer. I would have to say someone just starting to drink craft beer may not want to start with this, but I would say it is definitely a middle of the pack contender for sure. All in all this is definitely a beer that I would pick up again and would be great for those spring/summer cookouts and gatherings. I hope you enjoyed my post as much as I enjoyed drinking this beer.

Until next time,

Jon The Beer Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment